Suicide awareness event on Oct. 8
On Tuesday, Oct. 8, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., UW-Whitewater will host a suicide awareness event called “Send Silence Packing.” This display will include more than 250 backpacks, many with letters from survivors of suicide loss, spread across the north Wyman Mall (with the University Center Hamilton Room serving as a rain location, if necessary).
Speakers will begin their presentations at noon, and include:
- Patty Slatter, “Share a story and save a life. Ask, listen, be there... an advocate for mental health and suicide awareness shares her lived experience.”
- Dr. Aruna Jha, “There's an elephant in the room: What's preventing you from talking about suicidal ideation and suicidal behavior in your peers?”
The goal of this event is to raise mental health awareness, inspire action for suicide prevention, connect students to mental health resources, and break down the stigma around mental health.
Due to the various emotions that could potentially be experienced, we want to remind the campus community of the support available on campus for our fellow Warhawks. A representative from each area below will be available on the mall on Oct. 8:
- University Health and Counseling Services: 262-472-1305
- CARE Team: 262-472-1533
- Winther Counseling Services: 262-472-2842
- Jefferson County Zero Suicide Coalition: 920-674-3105
Staff and faculty can access the FEI Employee Assistance Program by calling 866-274-4723.
Viewers who would like a support person to speak with can look for staff, faculty, and students wearing green stickers that read “I seek to listen & support.” A map with alternative routes is attached for those who would like to avoid the exhibit.
In addition, students, staff, and faculty are welcome to attend a free QPR training to learn how to recognize the signs of suicide and how to get help for someone in crisis. The training will be held 12:30 to 2 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18. Register by emailing email@example.com.
- University Health and Counseling Services
- UW-Whitewater Active Minds