Monthly-Paid Employees: Entering Furlough on the Timesheet, and Supervisor's Approval
Human Resources is receiving many calls and emails from employees regarding how to enter furlough on the timesheets, and from supervisors doing approvals. Here is the link to the Tipsheet: Monthly Furlough Timesheet Tipsheet. The instructions are also listed below. Reminder, the May monthly payroll, paid 6/1/20, will be processed this week. All furloughs taken in May must be entered on the timesheets, and approved, by tomorrow (Wednesday), in order for the reduction in pay to occur on the May payroll. Please contact email@example.com with questions.
Enter Furlough Time on the Timesheet – Monthly Employees
- Furlough is not submitted as an absence request. It is entered on the timesheet.
- Navigate to your MyUW portal and log in: https://my.wisconsin.edu/.
- Click on the TIME and ABSENCE tile; your timesheet will be displayed.
- Or, click the Timesheet button at the top left of the page.
To enter a Full-day unpaid Furlough:
- On the row for the date a full-day furlough is taken, click on the down arrow in the Time/Absence Code field, and select FURLM.
- Enter the number 8 in the Quantity field (part-time employees will enter the prorated number of hours based on their FTE).
- Click Submit.
To enter a Half-day Unpaid Furlough:
- On the row for the date a half-day furlough is taken, click on the down arrow in the Time/Absence Code field, and select FUR50.
- Enter the number 4 in the Quantity field (part-time employees will enter the prorated number of hours based on their FTE).
- Click Submit.
Employees with more than one active position:
Employees with multiple positions totaling 100% FTE must report furlough usage on each position. For a half-day furlough, select the FUR50 code on each position and enter the corresponding number of hours, rounded to the nearest quarter-hour (prorated for FTE of each for each position). The total entered for all positions must equal 4 hours. For a full-day furlough, select the FURLM code on each position and enter the corresponding number of hours, rounded to the nearest quarter-hour (prorated for FTE of each for each position). The total entered for all positions must equal 8 hours.
PLEASE NOTE: During the one-week period that furlough is used, Non-instructional Academic Staff must enter hours worked (and/or leave used) for each day of the week to total 40-hours (prorated for part-time employees). Select FUREG (furlough hours worked) in the Time/Absence Code field and enter 8 in the Quantity field. Repeat for each day of the week that regular hours are worked. If a half-day of unpaid furlough is taken, enter 4 hours of FUR50 on the timesheet. Click on the plus sign at the front of the row to add another row for that date. Enter the FUREG for the other 4 hours for that day.
Absence requests for sick leave, vacation and personal holiday will be submitted in the usual manner on the portal (not on the timesheet).
Approving Furlough Time for Monthly Employees:
Furlough entered on the timesheet is not immediately sent to the supervisor to approve in the manner of an absence request. The timesheets are biweekly and are processed in the same way. There is a “Time Admin” process that runs every day at approximately 9 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., 5 p.m., and overnight. It takes about an hour to run, and then the hours should appear in the “Payable Time Approvals” section of the “Manager Self Service Dashboard” around 10 a.m., Noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m., and first thing in the morning. All furlough will show in Payable Time as “Non Paid” hours; however, the furlough hours worked will be paid. IMPORTANT: the default dates in the Payable Time Approvals section are for the current biweekly pay period. Please change the dates to be for the full month (05/01/2020 to 05/31/2020) to see all requests that need to be approved for the monthly payroll.