Google Chrome security update
Google has issued a critical update to correct vulnerabilities in its Google Chrome browser. To help maintain the security of our campus computing environment, ICIT will be accelerating the normal Chrome update process to ensure all devices remain as secure as possible. Updates for campus-owned devices will begin at 7 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 5.
- macOS devices will receive a pushed update that will run silently in the background starting tomorrow at 7 a.m. No action will be required by the user and it will run whether the device is on the campus network or not.
- Windows device users can close Google Chrome and install the update anytime tomorrow starting at 7 a.m. using the self-service installation. The self-service option will allow users to decide the time they want to install the update prior to the required pushed update on Wednesday, Oct. 6 at 7 a.m. Google Chrome must be closed for the update, but your computer will not be shut down.
- ICIT asks remote users to connect to the VPN as soon as possible after Oct. 5 at 7 a.m. to initiate the update.
- If you are not prompted for the update you may already be running the required version of Chrome (94.0.4606.71).
- Lab/classroom computers: On Tuesday, Oct. 5 at 11 p.m., all lab and classroom computers will be updated to the latest version of Google Chrome. No action will be required and all computers will be ready to use by the next morning.
- Personal devices: We recommend everyone update their personal devices to the latest version of Google Chrome as well. For information, please see How to Update Chrome to the Latest Version.
If you require assistance, please feel free to contact the Help Desk at any time.
Thank you for your assistance with this critical security update!