2018-2019 FAFSA information
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will now be available October 1, of each year.
• The income used on the FAFSA will be from two years prior to the application year (referred to as “Prior-Prior Year”), rather than only one year prior to the application year as in the past; for example, (the 2018-2019 award year will use data from 2016).
• The priority date for filing the FAFSA is January 1.
Why are these changes important? The move to an earlier application date can help students in several ways:
• By having the FAFSA available earlier, students and their families will have more time to resolve any income verification requirements or additional information requests from the financial aid office.
• Learning about their federal and state aid eligibility earlier will allow students and families to understand better the institution’s cost information and how they are going to get their university bill paid.
• By using earlier income data, more families will have their completed tax information available by the time they are ready to apply for financial aid. This will make it easier to fill out the FAFSA and increase the likelihood that families will be able to import their income directly from the IRS using the online Data Retrieval Tool.