“Virtual” parking permits coming to UW-Whitewater
Starting this spring, Parking Services is excited to implement License Plate Recognition (LPR) technology that will allow for “virtual” parking permits and eventually replace the need for physical permits that currently hang from rear-view mirrors.
LPR will be phased in starting this spring. We will continue to use the hanging permit along with LPR until Sept. 1, 2023. After that time, hanging permits will no longer be used.
What does this mean for students, faculty and staff?
- As we build the infrastructure for the LPR system, your vehicle plate will transition to the permit itself, and a “virtual” permit is created
- You will still need to purchase a permit each year
- You will no longer need to pick up a physical hanging permit
- The “virtual” permit will be valid in the same areas as the hanging permits
- You will be allowed to register two vehicles per permit (Only one vehicle can be on campus at a time)
- If you need to park a temporary vehicle after Sept. 1 (such as a rental car), you can let us know directly through the Parking Services Portal
- Permit holders can pull through or back into a parking space if their vehicle has a front and back license plate. The license plate must be visible from the drive lanes.
To help us transition these services, we are asking that permit holders log into our Parking Services Portal to verify that all individual vehicle information is correct. If anything needs to be updated or changed, please contact Parking Services at 262-472-1011 or send an email to email@example.com.