Campus Announcements and Mass E-mail Usage Policy
The Campus Announcements system is designed to facilitate the dissemination of information to the campus community. Any administrative unit or academic department associated with UW-Whitewater may post an announcement request as long as it meets the guidelines. Once approved, the announcement will be posted to the Announcements Web site and will be sent to campus groups via a mass e-mail. Events should be posted on the campus calendar at events.uww.edu.
- Material must be of campus-wide importance.
- Each suggested announcement will go through an approval process. Not all announcements will be posted.
- The approval office reserves the right to refuse announcement requests that do not fit the criteria.
- All postings will remain on the Announcements Web site for the requested period of time. The approval office reserves the right to shorten the time period if is deemed excessive.
Announcements May Be Approved for the Following Purposes:
- Operational information of significant interest and need for the faculty, staff, and/or students.
- Crisis communication incident as determined by the crisis response coordinator (administrative staff member) and the director of Marketing and Media Relations.
- Unexpected change of date, time or place, or cancellation of campus-wide meeting or program.
- Obituary of current students, faculty and staff members or emeriti.
- Inclement weather announcement concerning class cancellations.
- Selected campus-wide surveys or polls approved by the chancellor or the assistant chancellor for Student Affairs.
- Significant changes in governance, policy, and practice.
- Any announcement requested or approved by the Chancellor.
Examples of Acceptable Announcements:
- Hiring of a cabinet-level position
- Addresses to the entire campus including the State of the University address and Listening Sessions
- Orders issued by the Governor for flags at half-staff and other issues
- Weekly digest of LTC training
- Grant application opportunities
- Governance announcements, including Whitewater Student Government notices
- Online syllabi requests
- Digest for award nominations
- ICIT operational announcements
- Student deaths
- Health-related issues such as flu shots and mental health screening
- Policy changes regarding student accounts
- Scholarship availability
- Employee benefits information and changes
- Payroll reminders
- Changes in policy and regulations
The approval process involves different steps depending on the submitter and the intended recipients.
Announcement Postings by Faculty or Staff Members
Any current faculty or staff member may submit an announcement request using the Announcements Web site. The approval process is as follows:
- If the announcement notification e-mail will only be sent to faculty and/or staff members, it will be subject to final approval by the office of Marketing and Media Relations.
- If the announcement notification e-mail will only be sent to students, it will be subject to final approval by the assistant chancellor for Student Affairs.
- If the announcement notification e-mail will be sent to faculty and/or staff members AND students, it will be subject to initial approval by the assistant chancellor for Student Affairs AND final approval by the office of Marketing and Media Relations.
How to Use the Add Announcement Form
- To submit a broadcast e-mail, use the “Add Announcement” form found at: https://announcements.uww.edu/
- Fill out all fields of the Add Announcement form. No requests will be posted without a contact person and a valid campus e-mail address.
- The "Announcement Title" field is used as the topic of your announcement, as well as the subject line of the e-mail alert message.
- The "Short Description" field is limited to 50 words. Be concise. This description is used for the announcement posting, as well as the body of the e-mail alert message.
- The "Long Description" field allows you to elaborate on the details of your posting. While there is no limit to its size, the message should be kept to a reasonable length. Its URL will be referenced in the announcement posting, as well as the e-mail alert message. You DO NOT have to fill out this part of the form if your message will fit in the short description field.
- The "Groups" to receive e-mail announcement section allows you to specify the campus groups who will receive an e-mail alert about the announcement.
- Submitted announcements are reviewed and posted in a timely manner. Please check your information carefully before posting. Once an e-mail message is sent it cannot be retracted.
Approved by the Chancellor’s Staff, Dec. 7, 2009.
Last revised: December 2009.